Skip to main content

Illustrated Talks Available on Online Platforms



Since all my mountain service engagements for the year 2020 has been either cancelled or postponed due to the Covid-19 crisis, I am offering some of my talks online in an effort to survive as an independent adventurist. This means the talks are not free. Upon mutual agreement of terms and conditions the talks can be delivered on an online platform. 

My name is Anindya Mukherjee. I am an ever curious, restless traveler, mountaineer, explorer, adventurer, adventure travel writer and a TedX speaker.  Over the past few years I have been invited to speak about my adventures and explorations across the Indian Himalaya and outside by many prestigious institutons in venues across the world. 

Some of them are: Mountaineering Ireland, The Himalayan Club, University of Michigan, Jadavpur University, Presidency University, The University of Calcutta, Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, National Institute of Biomedical Genomics, Netaji Research Bureau, Globetrotters Club London and The Indian Mountaineering Foundation. I have also delivered illustrated talks in events organized by numerous mountaineering clubs of India, NGOs and schools like the Dolna Day School, Don Bosco Liluah and The Frank Anthony Public School in Kolkata. 


I have selected the following topics for the online talks. All of them are powerpoint presentations. If you are interested in booking one of my lectures, please write to me here  


List of the talks available: 





Nanda Devi: How the Goddess Kept her Secret
In this talk, I have tried to discuss the process of discovery of the intricate and apparently insurmountable terrain around Nanda Devi, the historical progression of its exploration and touched delicately upon the veil of mythology that exists around the mountain. In this lecture, I have limited my discussion within the timeline of 1883 to 1936, i.e. starting from W.W. Graham’s first expedition in the Rishi gorge area to the ascent of Nanda Devi, and in the process, I have analyzed the topography and described in brief, how after a series of attempts, that spread over late 19th century to early 20th century, explorers were finally able to decode the secrets of the blessed Goddess and reach its inner basin.  I hope you will enjoy it. (English/Bengali, 60-90 minutes)




My Quest for the Real Africa
In 2012, I cycled from Nanyuki, Kenya to Walvis Bay, Nambia, across 5 countries and 5000 kms. In this journey from the Equator to the Tropic of Capricorn across the great continent of Africa, I discovered that the real treasure of Africa is its people. (60-90 minutes, English/Bengali).





Secrets of the Great East Ridge of Kangchenjunga 
In this lecture, I describe the history of explorations, climbs and recent discoveries associated with the Great East Ridge of Kangchenjunga and its intricate network of glaciers and rivers. (60-90 minutes, English/Bengali) 



Cycling Across the Sahara
In 2017, I crossed the Sahara desert by its Atlantic Route on my bicycle. It took me 23 days to cross 2380 kms across 4 countries. As I moved across the Sahara, as an insignificant human being on a bicycle- against wind, against sand, taking in love and hatred in my stride- one revolution at a time; the vast nothingness of the desert taught me a lot and this adventure will go down in my memory as one of the life changing journeys I ever undertook. I can only hope that I will be able to imbibe the spirit of the Sahara in me for the rest of my life. (60- 90 minutes, English and Bengali). 






































Quest for the Bon Manchi
This talk is based on my experience and observations gathered over 9 exploration trips starting from 2006 to 2011 in quest of the myth of the Bon Manchi- the wildman of Sikkim. The area of these trips spread over Talung Chu, Ringi Chu, Zumthul Phuk Chu catchments, Kishong La and Tosa Lake of remote North Sikkim. (60-90 mintues, English/Bengali).





















Lessons of Nanda Devi East
In this talk, I describe our lightweight and semi-alpine style expeditions on Nanda Devi East (7434m) in 2013 and 2014. (60-90 minutes, English/Bengali)


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zemu Gap from south: the first documented ascent

view of Kangchenjunga south summit and Talung peaks from Tongshyong glacier. Pic. Anindya Mukherjee Text & Photographs: Anindya Mukherjee Introduction The history of exploration around Kangchenjunga [1] , especially around its south, south east and east flanks; has always fascinated me. The classic journeys and adventures of pioneers [2] like W.W. Graham, John Claude White, Douglas Freshfield, Dr. A.M. Kellas, Harold Raeburn, N.A.Tombazi, Lord John Hunt and Paul Bauer ignited my imagination. The height of inspiration of course came from reading my hero Mr. H.W. Tilman’s account in the Himalayan Journal (vol. IX) on his attempt on Zemu Gap from south in 1936. The primary challenge of climbing Zemu Gap from south has always been its remote & complicated approach. Many failed just to reach the foot of this col. To add to that its apparently impregnable defenses took Zemu Gap to a next level of exploratory climbing. In 1925, Greek photographer N.A.Tombazi is sai

Sundardhunga Khal – The Goddess Keeps her Secret

Sundardhunga Khal – The Goddess Keeps her Secret George W Rodway and Anindya Mukherjee The Sundardhunga Khal and our route of attempt in 2015 The History Locating a practicable route into the Nanda Devi Sanctuary occupied a very respectable amount of exploration time and effort in the latter half of the nineteenth century and first half of the twentieth century. By the time W.W. Graham made spring and autumn journeys to Sikkim and spent the summer in the Kumaun region around Nanda Devi in 1883, a shift had just started towards looking to the Himalaya as a venue for sporting adventure. Graham and the Swiss guides that accompanied him this year planned an ambitious itinerary for their time in Kumaun. They attempted to penetrate, for the first time in recorded history, the Rishiganga gorge with an eye to ascending Nanda Devi. Not surprisingly the difficulty of the gorge, not infiltrated to its source (after many attempts) until 1934, forced them to reconsider the wis

TREK AROUND THE MAYEL LYANG- April 2022

  TREK AROUND THE MAYEL LYANG- NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER 2021 THE HIDDEN LAND OF MYTHICAL PARADISE OF THE LEPCHA PEOPLE IN NORTH SIKKIM   Trip Highlight:   Culture, Jungle trek, Monasteries, Himalayan Lake, Off the Beaten Path  Approaching the Kishong Lake MAYEL LYANG: IT’S MEANING AND WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT ‘Mayel Lyang’ is a Lepcha term that literally means “mythical paradise” or “hidden paradise”. It is also referred to as ‘Ancient Sikkim’ by the Lepcha. They believe their immortal ancestors still live in the snows of Kangchenjunga, hidden. Here Ma (‘Maa)’ means hidden, ‘yel’ means eternal and ‘kyong’/Lyang means a village in Lepcha; therefore, ‘Maayel Kyong’ literally means a ‘hidden and eternal Lepcha Village’. Lepchas believe that seven immortal Lepcha couples live in Mayel Lyang. It is a paradise on earth. It is believed by the Lepchas that ‘Maayel Kyong’ is situated at the head of Dzongu. The Lepcha offer their prayers, ovations and salutations to Maayel Ky